I am constantly on the look out for new techniques to try with my cheesemaking, so when I heard of David Asher’s blog and his upcoming book, The Art Of Natural Cheesemaking, I just had to check things out. He recently posted his version of a Mason Jar Marcellin, a true lactic cheese that used raw milk and natural Geotrichum to ripen the milk. I don’t have access to raw milk but I figured that I might be able to make a version using store milk.
Though it may not be true to the original vision or spirit of David Asher’s version, but I think I may be on track with my “Little Squirrel In A Jar” version. (more…)
I am in the weeds here folks! I’ve tried to make a lactic blue cheese, with varying success. The first was a salt lick but looked pretty, the second didn’t even get any blue on it, but looked pretty as well. The third and most successful to date was a spur of the moment decision to add some p. roquforti to one of my Camembert, it was not pretty but super tasty. The fourth attempt had everything going for it, great coverage and the sampler cheese, well…
My last attempt at making a blue cheese was a success, well in the sense that I got a blue cheese, but it was a salt lick. I wanted to make another, so I could “fix” my mistakes from the first batch. I had received some new moulds and I wanted to use them to change things up a bit. (All pictures taken with my iPad)
In my last post I talked about my first attempt at making a blue cheese. Things have progressed with these “Little Blue Barrels” and now they are covered with wonderful blue mould, the geo that I added has started to bloom and give some nice wrinkles too.
It is amazing how much a difference a week can make when aging these little things. I am constantly surprised at my sudden affinity for these cheeses that I swore I would never make (more…)
Ever since I started to make cheese, I have had friends asking me to make blue cheese. For years I have answered with screwed up face and a big “NO!” I have had a few blues over the years and there are only two that I don’t mind, Salt Spring Island Cheese Company’s “Blue Juliette” and the occasional piece of Stilton, but only after a few glasses of wine. Oh how the times have changed
You probably know that I decided to make another batch of Little Squirrels (Twisted Squirrels), but this time using PLA instead of Geo 17. It is now day 10 and things, they are a blooming!
I was quite surprised to see that the bloom was an off white, almost yellow. I was not expecting the linens to show up for a while. (more…)
A while back I mentioned that I thought I had finally cracked the recipe for my Little Squirrels, a semi lactic bloomy rind made from cows milk. It was time to try again, but being me, I wanted to tweak the formula. I kept the basic formula, but this time I upped the fat content. Last time I used 4 litres of skim milk and 500 millilitres of heavy cream, this time the cream stayed the same but I used 4 litres of 2% milk as the base. I am not sure but I think this makes the cheese in the double cream range or at least 1.5. At this point I was toying with the idea of using PLA instead of Geo 17 as the mould source.
Last week I was in a struggle to save a semi-lactic cheese that I was attempting to make. I did manage to save two “logs” out of an eight litre batch. I am excited that the white bloom has started. This time I used both Geo 17 and PC ABL for the mold cultures. Here are some of the pictures that show the bloom. I just flipped the cheeses so the “bottoms” don’t have much of a bloom on them but that will happen in due time.