Inspired by Urban Cheese Makers in San Francisco, a group of home cheese makers and with the help of one of their members (special thanks goes to Caitlin from Milk’s Leap for answering lots of my questions) I would like to announce that Edmonton or YEG as the twitter folks know it, now has a league of our own. A group of us have formed the League of YEG Home Cheese Makers. We plan on making cheese, helping each other when needed, and of course sampling our cheese every few months. We will be focusing on styles of cheeses versus going through a book, our first cheese that we are going to make and try will be bloomy rinds. So for this one I have made one of my nemesis cheeses (how can I have so many) Camembert. We all hope to have them ready prior to meeting at the end of November. Let me know if you want more information.
I am sure the League will meet all cheese challengers, but for now here is my latest attempt at Camembert
I have had issues with both time I have made “Camembert” before the first time was a runny mess after a week, the second was so bitter and ammoniated that you could barely open the lid of the container let alone swallow a bite. I asked around and did some more research, my friend Sharon gave me Margret Morris’ Camembert recipe, I also read and re-read a post on Camembert from Gurkan at Artisan Cheesemaker: Cheesemaking at home, now it was time to put it all into action so I would have some cheese for the first meeting.
I went through the usual method of setting up my roaster vat and getting the milk warmed up and adding culture/molds etc.
I added Calcium Chloride and Rennet and then I let it to its thing for an hour and a half, almost two hours. I got a decent break, but I figured I would not get better so it was time to press on and cut the curd. It seemed pretty weak, but it did hold up for a bit of stirring.
In between flips I made sure the lid was on the insert to try to keep anything from getting on the curd.
I had thought about cutting the large one in half, like we would do at Smoky Valley Goat Cheese (We would be able to get 3 to 4 Brie from each basket) but I thought why not have a bigger one and see how it would go. That and with my luck the cheese would cave in or got off too soon if I did it. I then dubbed it Camembundy and the MiniCams. Sounds like a bad boy band.
Now at 7 days we have an almost pronounce boom, it seems to be going better than my previous attempts.
I am out of cheese wrapping paper for now, and I don’t think I will be able to get some before wrapping time. I will be using a DIY method, but that will come later. There will be more pictures on the Much To Do About Cheese Facebook page.
Until next time go and make some cheese